Radiant Electric Cooperative, Inc. is a non-profit cooperative with no outside investors. It is
owned and controlled by the members. The members own the system – they elect fellow members to the
Board of Trustees who make the policies that control the operation of the cooperative.
Radiant Electric Cooperative, Inc. was first organized to provide electrical service to
predominately rural areas in Montgomery and Wilson counties. The beginning of the Cooperative was
in 1941, a few years following the enactment of the Rural Electrification Act by the U. S.
Building of the electrical system was delayed because of World War II. The actual construction
activities went full swing in 1947 when material once again became available.